On the Frontline
Cleopatra actively supports selective organisations looking to prevent conflict and build bridges of understanding and coexistence.
The International Crisis Group
The International Crisis Group is an independent organisation working to prevent wars and shape policies that will build a more peaceful world.
Cleopatra has been a member of the International Advisory Council, as a donor and supporter, for over a decade. She has volunteered on the frontline in Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Tunisia alongside analysts to understand the causes of conflict.
Arab International Women's Forum
Cleopatra is a long-standing supporter of the Arab International Women's Forum which was founded by Haifa Fahoum Al Kaylani and brings together professional women from all 22 Arab countries to support and enhance the role of women in the social and economic development across the Middle East region.
Consequences of inaction:
- Over 65 million people are now displaced due to conflict and persecution - more than ever recorded.
- The majority of the world’s refugees come from three countries devastated by war: Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia.
- At least 70 conflicts involve non-state actors, a historic high.
- An estimated 126,059 people were killed in conflicts in 2014, the largest annual number of fatalities since the Rwandan genocide in 1994.
- The past five years have seen worsening trends across conflict indicators: more wars, more people killed and civilians increasingly targeted.
Sources: UNHCR, Uppsala Conflict Data Program